Followers

Tuesday 4 October 2016

Teaching Week 1

Prior to the second session of online talks regarding BAPP Arts, as I had stated in my previous blog, I was quite nervous and apprehensive of the course as it was completely new to me, the idea of being self managed in terms of work load and being completely independent when learning, just hoping that you've understood everything correctly before the next online session with your tutor! However, after the second session, which was conducted via Adobe connect (another new experience), I felt more at ease as it seemed every student was in the same exact boat, and it was also OK to feel that way, which assured me even more. From the online session on the 27th September, we discussed various subjects such as the Clinton and Trump debate, films of our generation and the understanding of narratives, which surprisingly to me, can all be related to the understanding of work based practice. For example, two variations concerning a certain prospect, need to both be understand in order to make ones argument/opinion more creditable, which is a factor evident in the arts. In various productions of contemporary ballets (which a student was explaining via Adobe Connect), there are hidden meanings behind the narrative, music and movement which are open for deliberation and difference in prospectives, which is what the choreographers desires. When the audiences method of thinking is challenged, the piece itself, in my opinion becomes more creditable, as it is not just merely about technique and the idea of being entertained, but it brings a sense of meaning and definition which is portrayed through narrative initially. Away from productions and pieces, we also discussed our differences in genres. Although I have studied and have had years experience in both ballet and contemporary, my chosen field for professional work is commercial, which when discussed with another student is similar in many ways to ballet and contemporary. Sometimes in auditions, away from technical factors and dance ability, it goes down to image and connections, I.e who you know. Which sometimes may seem unfair, however, this course itself requires us to network in our chosen industry which will help me tremendously. Aside from work and study, the idea that we are all out auditioning, teaching and performing in similar fields helps to inspire me which is a huge factor in the arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment