Followers

Tuesday 22 November 2016

3a The Networked Professional

This task shall aim to explore the existing value of my current networks, with a reflection on how I intend to further develop my professional networks. The task shall also consider ethical concerns with regards to networking in the workplace.

Most of my current networks have arisen during my time training at a dance conservatoire, being taught by industry professionals and having completed modules which require networking. Having had lecturers that still audition and work within the industry, it has helped me on a personal level because i receive one to one advice, and quite often, have them dance alongside me in auditions which has been useful as they watch and inform me on what went well and what I could have improved on. For most auditions, it goes down to who you know, and with this is mind, i get introduced to other successful dancers in the industry through relations gained during my training. They also inform me on upcoming events which I would not have known about if these connections were not made. To enhance this relation, I am going to maintain undertaking classes and keeping up with training to not only improve my dance ability, but to also keep within the network which will allow me to hear first hand of upcoming auditions etc.

Other connections made during my training are from the theory based lecturers. As mentioned in previous tasks, I have frequently volunteered and led dance sessions at an SEN dance company for young teenagers which has allowed me to be recognized within the school with teacher professionals and because of this, they are aware of my ability and already know what I can offer which is such a positive aspect for me if I decide to apply for future employment within the school which may pull me apart from the other candidates. As a way of further extending this professional network i aim to in the nearby future, volunteer again to teach the company as a way of keeping myself known.

Aside form the current networks which I have currently gained during my time training, I have also gained sturdy relations through employment. Since the year of 2011 I have been a sports coach which has enabled me to get to know working professionals for the district council, which has been greatly beneficial to me as I am on the mailing list for graduate  employment for when I receive my BA Hons after the duration of this course. Through this, I also get to work alongside teacher professionals of primary and secondary education which allows me to gain insight into the job itself from an internals perspective.

In addition to this, I have enrolled on a seminar in Coventry through education.gov (details in my blog post "Get into Teaching"). I have chosen to do this, not only to get advice with regards to life in the classroom, but to network with teacher professionals near me. I also think that attending this seminar will further elaborate on my current understanding of ethical concerns within an education environment, for example, safe guarding.

With regards to consideration into ethical concerns for networking in the workplace, I think it relates entirely on the relationships made, the employers ethos and the client group. For example, networking as a performer requires self marketing to get your performance skills and choreographic ability known to others in a similar network who may notice you which is a path for employment. Methods of doing so may include class video footage of uploaded on a web 2.0 platform, however, working in a government education setting, this would be acknowledged as a violation on ethical grounds as child policy is very important to protect their well being.

generally, I aim to maintain my networking with current dance practitioners through voluntary work and also through web 2.0. For example, I have just created a Linked in account, a separate Flickr account which divides my social life from work life, and I also aim to refresh my word press site. In addition to this, I wish to create a show reel which i can send to network professionals, and post on web 2.0.

No comments:

Post a Comment