Followers

Monday 14 November 2016

Journal Writing Experience

This post shall aim to critically reflect upon one specific day that has encouraged me to reflect the most during the past few weeks of me writing a journal. Over the course of the past few weeks, I have varied my writing approach allowing me to be more in depth. For example, asking myself questions in the passages, and coming up with different answers which inspires me to think. I enjoy using spider diagrams when I ask myself questions in my journal passages. I find that they allow trails of thought processes to progress and develop, there is never just one answer, there are many.
Below is an image of the spider diagram I created,the night after the audition, and although from another person's perspective it may seem jargon, it makes sense to me, which is an example of why journals are so personal and important for ones growth.
In terms of ethical considerations, I covered the artists name and fortunately I did not use any other name or reference to anyone else, which when reflecting, I could do in future, to remind me of who booked the job, and to see if there were similarities between the dancers who were chosen, and to compare them to myself. In addition to the spider diagram, I also wrote my daily entry which I shall take the most relevant extract from which proves that I reflected from my experience. I also found that as time progressed, I noticed a slightly negative approach to myself as I had been unsuccessful in auditions which was emotionally straining and frustrating. 

"Although I was familiar with.... 's choreography as I had been taught by him in the past and had been chosen by him for company, and many performances and jobs, it goes to show that everybody looks for different attributes and are drawn to different things in a person, whether it be their image, or movement quality. Sadly this time I was unsuccessful and felt rather down afterwards, because during my training I had a good work ethic, and always attended extra classes, but I did gain something from the audition, which the successful dancers did not gain on that particular day, and that was having a knock back, knowing what it feels like, and feeling a sense of passion for the next audition.''

*In the above extract, I had removed the choreographer's name for ethical purposes. I had not asked for consent to include their name in a public written forum.

On this particular journal entry, it was near the beginning of part 2, module 1, and so my methods of writing were initially; 
Description- describing the day. What had happened, what I did. 
Initial reflection- My feelings, thoughts and emotions to particular scenarios. 
What if-having a positive outlook, explaining what would be the outcome if A and B were completed for ex.
Evaluation- reflecting on what went well and what did not go so well.
Charts & diagrams -The use of a spider diagram to promote a trail of thought. I found it good for imagery too. 

More recently, I have been writing about the perspectives of others, which is a method that I was not entirely used to when using it as a way to reflect in a diary entry. Below is an extract from Sunday  13th November, 2016, considering the view of a gym member at work whom I had to deal with regarding their complaint.

"One particular member complained to me that when the two minutes silence was taking place downstairs in the club, the music of the gym upstairs was still playing, and people were still talking upstairs. I then explained that my manager had requested me to inform people that it was just the club room that were completing the two minutes silence and that it was not my fault, and that I was extremely sorry. However, the member was speaking to me as if it was my own fault when it was completely out of my minds, but if it was up to me, the whole of the club would have completed the two minutes silence, little did she know. In terms of reflections from this experience, I learned two things. The first one being, not to accuse someone just because of their job role or company, because even know we are told one thing from managers etc, it does not necessarily mean that we agree, we are just merely doing our job duty. This could be anywhere, for example, blaming the delivery workers for a parcel being delivered late, because they wouldn't have worked in the depot port.  It is not their fault, they are merely standing by their brand as it is their job, but a polite comment would go a lot further. I also put myself in the members position. Of course, the first place to go when there are queries or complaints is reception, which is my base at work, so I can understand as to why she would have thought that the two minutes silence scenario was my fault."

So far, I have enjoyed writing up my day and using different techniques to do so as opposed to just using the norm of methods. For future, I shall aim to use video footage of me speaking about reflection and shall research into other ways to do so as the time progresses. Please feel free to comment on your thoughts, and methods you have used to help inspire me. Thank you!




1 comment:

  1. Hi Hannah! I feel you are so brave to document your day via video footage! I definitely don't think I could do that, but for personal use I can imagine it is quite handy just being able to talk about your day and play it back for reflective purposes! I don't know if you have read my blog on reflective writing but certainly for me a method I found fascinating was the graph component of writing a journal, knowing that you are really into your auditions you could graph your feelings/thoughts throughout an audition? :)

    ReplyDelete