Followers

Monday 14 November 2016

Reflective Practice


For the past few weeks I have been keeping a diary in written form as a method of helping me to reflect on daily activities. I have never kept a journal before and so far I can definitely say how much of an effect it has had on me. Some days when I go to write about my day, there is nothing that has happened that has had that WOW factor, which at first made me think that I am not achieving what I should be achieving for a number of reasons, for example, I am not a member in a dance company, or I have not yet been successful in a commercial dance audition, and so I do not have a ‘dance day’ to write about (professionally anyway).  However, I was completely wrong. Taking 20 minutes at the end of each day has made me reflect on my day, and has helped me to understand that every scenario needs a process and constantly I am training, auditioning and studying, which in itself is an achievement, as it allows me to give myself opportunities to reflect as a person, which in turn allows me to progress. I also like to read back through my journal and re-read my thoughts and feelings of a particular day and compare it to other days, as well as having a piece of writing that is completely private so I don’t have to feel the need to re write certain parts because they wouldn’t make sense to the reader, because that reader is me, which makes the journal completely personal, and this journal process so far has allowed me to express, evaluate and most importantly reflect.
What is a journal?
‘’A daily record, as of occurrences, experiences, or observations.’’(dictionary.com, 2016). A journal is a written method of practice that enables writers to give a written account of their experiences, with a critical reflection, which allows the individual to keep a personal account of their progression and development as a person. It allows self-choice, such as the method and style of writing, the use of book, and the language style.
Why a journal?
I initially chose a journal as a method of writing down my thoughts because I have always enjoyed writing. At school, through my GCSE’s and A-levels, and in Higher education, writing has always been enjoyable for me, and didn’t necessarily always feel like ‘work’. For me, writing is special and is the oldest method of primary data. I find it traditional and it allows me to be personal, because we all share different methods of writing and even as far as the differentiation of ‘neat and messy’ handwriting without our writing being categorised in a certain font or size.
‘’Our whole lives we are told to write a certain way, to use a number two pencil and stay within the lines, to fill up exactly three pages with our thoughts on a specific theme, being sure to include topic sentences and a conclusion. Journaling is different. With journaling, there are no rules, no rights or wrongs. You might decide to share parts of your journal, but, fundamentally, your journal is for you. So you're in charge. Your journal is a space where you're absolutely free to express yourself.’’(creative-writing-now.com, 2016).

Creative-writing-now.com [online]. Available from:

[Accessed 14.11.16]

Dictionary.com. [online]. Available from:
[Accessed on 14.11.16]

No comments:

Post a Comment